Women's Cotton Gloves
In fawn, or light grey, cotton.
Art work details
Knitted on the stocking frame these gloves were made flat and seamed at the outside of the hand and along each finger. The tops of the fingers and thumbs are gathered. The points on the back of the hand are made of lines of drop stitches or as a row of holes between lines of running stitches in lavender silk on the grey gloves. The wrists are gathered to silk covered rubber elastic tape.
These were found buried with stockings, other gloves, a purse and lace illustrative of Nottingham industries, under the foundation stone of the Nottingham Water Office, Albert Street, Nottingham in 1846 and recovered when the building was demolished in the 1930s.
ID Number: NCM 1937-29/1 and 2